2015 International City/County Management Association, Certificate of Excellence
The International City/County Management Association (ICMA) is pleased to announce that Phoenix, Arizona, is being recognized for its performance management efforts with a Certificate of Excellence from the ICMA Center for Performance Analytics™.
ICMA performance measurement is a year-round process, managed by the Budget and Research Department, involving the collection of performance data from cities and counties across the country. ICMA awards Certificates of Excellence to those jurisdictions demonstrating success in utilizing and improving performance measures.
“The certificate program recognizes the principles of performance management,” said Randall H. Reid, ICMA Director of Performance Initiatives. “Jurisdictions meeting the qualifications have demonstrated leadership in continuous improvement and community engagement, and they serve as examples for other governments to follow.”
ICMA assesses a local government's performance management program and encourages analysis of results by comparing to peers and gauging performance over time. Performance management aids in cost reduction, program prioritization, and quality improvement. It also encourages accountability and transparency. Certificates are awarded at the levels of Achievement, Distinction, and Excellence. Phoenix is among 33 jurisdictions receiving the Certificate of Excellence – the highest level awarded.
Criteria for the Certificate of Excellence include:
- Reporting of performance data to the public through budgets, newsletters, and/or information provided to elected officials
- Data verification efforts to ensure data reliability
- Staff training
- Use of performance data in strategic planning and operational decision-making
- Sharing of performance measurement knowledge with other local governments through presentations, site visits, and other networking
- Commitment to tracking and reporting to the public key outcomes
- Surveying of the both residents and local government employees
- Effective and timely reporting.