The City of Phoenix Management Intern Program is a nationally recognized program that has been training future municipal leaders since 1950. More than 211 former participants have achieved success in all levels of government as well as in the private sector. If you are interested in a rewarding and challenging public service career, this is an excellent opportunity to apply to work in an award-winning, world-renowned municipal corporation in one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the United States.
Our full-time program is similar to a one-year paid fellowship. The annual recruitment is open to talented individuals holding a master’s degree or those who will satisfactorily complete all coursework for a master’s degree by the end of June each year.
City employees are encouraged to apply.
Make a difference in America’s fifth largest city
Develop management skills in the largest council-manager municipality
Be part of a 72-year-old tradition
Gain exposure to city operations
Be part of a city thriving on innovation, excellent service, community engagement and sustainability
Management Internship Year-Long Program
If selected you will gain a wide range of experiences and learn about every facet of a large, urban, complex city operation. During this exciting and fast paced year, you will have an opportunity to:
- Work on a variety of assignments and projects that affect our community of 1.6 million residents.
- Gain exposure to innovative best practices in an our award-winning organization through rotations in the City Manager’s Office and a department that provides direct service to the community.
- Participate in the process of setting city policy by staffing City Council meetings.
- Use research and writing skills by studying an issue, recommending solutions, and drafting a management report.
- Work directly with residents and city staff on service delivery to the public.
Some of the projects completed by past participants include:
- Research fare collection and smart card expansion project;
- Participate in Request for Proposal process for textile recycling, which promotes waste diversion;
- Provide research, data, and recommendations addressing micro transit, Bus Rapid Transit funding, community outreach, and stakeholder opportunities for partnerships such as Local First Arizona;
- Assist in project addressing staffing levels in the Water Services department;
- Monitor new contractor providing services to senior citizens and evaluating their performance in delivering customer service.
Salary and Benefits
The 2022-23 Management Internship compensation includes a salary of $22.54 per hour ($46,883 annually) and
How to Apply
The recruitment for the 2022-23 Management Internship has closed. Check back in Fall 2022 for information on the 2023-24 Management Intern recruitment.
The Selection Process
- Typically more than 100 applications are received from talented individuals with varying backgrounds from across the United States and city organization.
- The city selects up to three individuals a year. The interns selected will work together as a class and on individual assignments throughout the program year.
- Application packets will be evaluated on all completed materials submitted. This will include successful presentation of requested information and job-related factors such as writing skills and commitment to public service or local government. The results of the initial screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
- In March, 8-12 semifinalists will be invited to an interview. Selections are anticipated to be made in April.
After the Program: Building a Career
More than 211 former interns have achieved success in all levels of government and the private sector. Many of our top-level executives and managers began their career with the city in this program including City Manager, Public Works Director, Public Transit Director, Neighborhood Services Director, Deputy City Clerk, Deputy Public Works Director, and Parks and Recreation Assistant Director.
Successful interns are highly recruited by city departments to fill available city jobs, however a city job after completion of the internship is not guaranteed. The management intern position is the entry level to the following career track:
Meet the 2021-22 Interns
- Management Assistant I ($46,883 - $71,136)
- Management Assistant II ($63,107 - $96,117)
Phoenix covers nearly 520 square miles and has a population of more than 1.6 million, ranking it fifth in the United States. While Phoenix is the corporate and industrial center in the Southwest, it has retained its long-time reputation of friendliness and citizen involvement in government.