Councilman Daniel Valenzuela is committed to growing our city's economy and has taken a leadership role on the City Council to make Phoenix the most generous and welcoming community for entrepreneurs and innovators. The Councilman understands that for our economy to thrive, we need to support existing businesses, attract new businesses, and build an environment where entrepreneurs can flourish. Just as importantly, our success in today's technology and innovation marketplace relies on attracting, developing and retaining top talent.
- The Councilman's efforts to develop our economy and promote our nationally recognized innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem have provided a significant and quantifiable return on investment:
- Phoenix ranks #2 in the county for tech growth, following only San Francisco. – CBRE, 2016
- Phoenix leads Austin in tech growth by more than 11 percentage points. – CBRE, 2016
- We are #1 in innovation with our partner Arizona State University. – U.S. News, 2016
- Phoenix ranked #4 best metro for young professionals. – Forbes, 2017
- Phoenix ranked 10th among the top 25 hottest cities for startups. – Fortune, 2016
- Phoenix metro ranked in the top 10 for startup activity. – Fortune, 2016
- Phoenix ranked #1 in terms of job growth in finance industry jobs. – Forbes, 2014
- Councilman Daniel Valenzuela is a founding member of the Board of Directors for the Startup Arizona Foundation, which seeks a vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem by bridging the capital requirements needed to grow a more diverse and resilient economy to supply the needs of Arizona's growing economy.
- Through the momentum of the Startup Arizona Foundation and the #yesPHX movement, Councilman Valenzuela provided the leadership to leverage the local entrepreneurial community to rally behind the creation of the Phoenix Innovation District, in downtown Phoenix. The district is specifically targeting companies within the advanced business services, biosciences and information technology industries.
- Partnered with the Aviation Department to introduce #SKYTime for Small Business to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. The program connects SBE and small business construction contractors, construction suppliers, and architectural, engineering, and design professionals with large General Contractors and Design Firms for upcoming construction services opportunities at Sky Harbor.
- In 2017 Councilman Valenzuela launched the citywide expansion of the CodePHX program through the Parks and Recreation and Library Departments. CodePHX is a privately funded initiative to make computer coding equitable, accessible and free to youth in Phoenix and an expansion of a successful pilot in two City of Phoenix libraries to teach computer coding to children ages five and up. Continued private funding will expand the program over three years to 29 sites, including all 17 libraries and 12 community centers in the City of Phoenix.
- Leading the effort on the City Council on entrepreneurship and innovation. He worked closely with the creator of the #yesphx campaign to get the rights for the city to use the brand to highlight our emergence as a national destination of choice for entrepreneurs, innovators and start-ups. The city has celebrated major wins in its efforts to welcome and encourage entrepreneurs and innovators. In just 2015, the city welcomed tech education pioneer Galvanize as well as VA Angels and Allbound .
- Understanding that Phoenix's future as a world-class, 21st century city depends on a modern, connected public transportation system, he served as a key leader in promoting Proposition 104. Approved by voters in August, 2015, this 30-year initiative will bring major investment to Phoenix transportation infrastructure and spur local economic development. He also worked hard on accelerating the Northwest Light Rail Extension. The light rail extension will play a major role in the revitalization of our city's core, create 1,500 jobs and will provide access to tra nsportation for more than 20,000 people who live around the project. To date, the $2.4 billion investment in light rail has resulted in an $8 billion return to the Valley.
- Championing an innovative public/private partnership between the city and Grand Canyon University to rejuvenate Maryvale Golf Course. As part of the agreement with GCU, the school put $10 million in private investment into the course and took over day-to-day operation, saving city taxpayers $250,000 a year. This agreement restored a point of pride in Maryvale and kept the course public and affordable to play. The course, renamed Grand Canyon University Golf Course, reopened to the public in late 2015, and already is establishing a reputation as one of the premier public courses in the state.
- Supported and advocated for the city's Access to Care ordinance – allowing Phoenix to receive our fair share of federal dollars set aside for healthcare. This ordinance allows Phoenix to access already set-aside federal funds to reimburse hospitals for un-recovered costs related to uninsured and low-income patients. Our local hospitals contribute nearly $28 billion each year to our economy. This ordinance will ensure that our hospitals can continue to create jobs and drive our economy in a positive direction.
- In 2013, co-chaired the city's efforts to reform our employee pension system by creating sensible, sustainable solutions that respect our taxpayers-at-large and our dedicated city employees. The majority of Phoenix residents voted in support of the plan to create a 50-50 partnership between the employees and the city of Phoenix for pension contributions. The city will save nearly $600 million over the next 23 years.
- Played a key role in the passage of the city' s human rights ordinance which added lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and disabled residents to the city's anti-discrimination ordinance. Passage of the ordinance will help grow the city's economy - attracting the right kind of jobs and people, to Phoenix. Vice Mayor Valenzuela believes in building not only a diverse community, but an inclusive community.
Councilman Daniel Valenzuela's Statement on Award of Federal Working Families Grant for Maryvale Parents
Councilman Daniel Valenzuela Features Phoenix Entrepreneur Success Story Tuft & Needle in Latest #yesphx Segment
Phoenix Introduces Summer of Tech With Free Computer Science and Coding Classes
Councilman Valenzuela Applauds Hive @Central’s Contributions to #yesphx Community
In #yesphx Segment, Councilman Daniel Valenzuela Visits TGen to Learn About Helios Scholars Program
In #yesphx Segment, Councilman Daniel Valenzuela Visits PUHSD’s Coding Academy
In #yesphx Segment, Councilman Valenzuela Visits Patriot Boot Camp
In #yesphx Segment, Councilman Daniel Valenzuela Helps Kick Off StartUp Week
Vice Mayor Valenzuela In the News: PHX Startup Week Featured on KTAR
Vice Mayor Daniel Valenzuela Congratulates PHX Startup Week Grant Winners
Vice Mayor Daniel Valenzuela Welcomes Innovators, Startup Entrepreneurs to PHX Startup Week
In #yesphx Segment, Vice Mayor Valenzuela Visits Code Day Arizona
Vice Mayor Valenzuela In the News: The Department Brings Another Co-Working Space to Downtown
In #yesphx Segment, Vice Mayor Valenzuela Celebrates Opening of The Department
Vice Mayor Daniel Valenzuela Statement Welcoming The Department to Phoenix’s Startup Community
Vice Mayor Valenzuela Talks with Galvanize Founders, Visits Location of Future Phoenix Campus in Latest #yesphx Segment
Vice Mayor Daniel Valenzuela Statement on Council Approval of Galvanize Agreement
Vice Mayor Valenzuela In the News: Galvanize Coming to Phoenix
Vice Mayor Valenzuela Highlights Center for Entrepreneurial Innovation in Latest #yesphx Segment
Vice Mayor Daniel Valenzuela Celebrates the Arrival of Galvanize to Phoenix
Vice Mayor Valenzuela Visits Greater Phoenix Economic Council on Latest #yesphx Segment
Vice Mayor Daniel Valenzuela Features #yesphx, Startup Success Allbound in PHXTV November Segments
Vice Mayor Featured on Greater Phoenix Chamber Website
Vice Mayor Daniel Valenzuela Features Startup Success in PHXTV Segment
Vice Mayor Valenzuela Statement on Opening of VA Angels Office in Phoenix
Councilman Daniel Valenzuela Statement on Vote on Strategic Economic Development Fund
Councilman Valenzuela Issues Statement on Creation of Trade Office in Mexico
Councilman Valenzuela's statement on City's Credit Rating
Councilman Valenzuela's Statement on Today's Google Announcement
Councilman Valenzuela's Statement re: Granting CDBG Funds to Support Small Biz
Councilman Valenzuela Hosts Meeting to Discuss PHX Sky Train, Airport Expansion
Council Approves Extension of Milwaukee Brewers Contract at Maryvale Stadium