Vice Mayor Valenzuela is committed to growing our city's economy and has taken a leadership role on the City Council to make Phoenix the most generous and welcoming community for entrepreneurs and
innovators. The Vice Mayor understands that in order for our economy to thrive, we need to support existing businesses, attract new businesses, and build an environment where entrepreneurs can flourish. Just as importantly, our success in today's technology and innovation marketplace relies on attracting, developing and retaining top talent. Read more about the Vice Mayor's efforts to develop our economy and promote our nationally recognized innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem:
- Leading the effort on the City Council on entrepreneurship and innovation. He worked closely with the creator of the #yesphx campaign to get the rights for the city to use the brand to highlight our emergence as a national destination of choice for entrepreneurs, innovators and start-ups. The city has celebrated major wins in it's efforts to welcome and encourage entrepreneurs and innovators. In just 2015, the city welcomed tech education pioneer Galvanize as well as VA Angels and Allbound.
- Appointed Chair of the city's Downtown, Aviation and Redevelopment Subcommittee in 2014. Elected Vice Mayor by his City Council colleagues in January, 2015.
- Understanding that Phoenix's future as a world-class, 21st century city depends on a modern, connected public transportation system, he served as a key leader in promoting Proposition 104. Approved by voters in August, 2015, this 30-year initiative will bring major investment to Phoenix transportation infrastructure and spur local economic development. He also worked hard on accelerating the Northwest Light Rail Extension to open early in the spring of 2016. . The light rail extension will play a major role in the revitalization of our city's core, create 1,500 jobs and will provide access to transportation for more than 20,000 people who live around the project. To date, the $2.4 billion investment in light rail has resulted in an $8 billion return to the Valley.
- Championing an innovative public/private partnership between the city and Grand Canyon University to rejuvenate Maryvale Golf Course. As part of the agreement with GCU, the school put $10 million in private investment into the course and took over day-to-day operation, saving city taxpayers $250,000 a year. This agreement restored a point of pride in Maryvale and kept the course public and affordable to play. The course, renamed Grand Canyon University Golf Course, reopened to the public in late 2015, and already is establishing a reputation as one of the premier public courses in the state.
- Supported and advocated for the city's Access to Care ordinance – allowing Phoenix to receive our fair share of federal dollars set aside for healthcare. This ordinance allows Phoenix to access already set-aside federal funds to reimburse hospitals for un-recovered costs related to uninsured and low-income patients. Our local hospitals contribute nearly $28 billion each year to our economy. This ordinance will ensure that our hospitals can continue to create jobs and drive our economy in a positive direction.
- In 2013, co-chaired the city's efforts to reform our employee pension system by creating sensible, sustainable solutions that respect our taxpayers-at-large and our dedicated city employees. The majority of Phoenix residents voted in support of the plan to create a 50-50 partnership between the employees and the city of Phoenix for pension contributions. The city will save nearly $600 million over the next 23 years.
- Played a key role in the passage of the city's human rights ordinance which added lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and disabled residents to the city's anti-discrimination ordinance. Passage of the ordinance will help grow the city's economy - attracting the right kind of jobs and people, to Phoenix. Vice Mayor Valenzuela believes in building not only a diverse community, but an inclusive community.
In #yesphx Segment, Vice Mayor Valenzuela Celebrates Opening of The Department
Vice Mayor Daniel Valenzuela Statement Welcoming The Department to Phoenix’s Startup Community
Vice Mayor Valenzuela Talks with Galvanize Founders, Visits Location of Future Phoenix Campus in Latest #yesphx Segment
Vice Mayor Daniel Valenzuela Statement on Council Approval of Galvanize Agreement
Vice Mayor Valenzuela In the News: Galvanize Coming to Phoenix
Vice Mayor Valenzuela Highlights Center for Entrepreneurial Innovation in Latest #yesphx Segment
Vice Mayor Daniel Valenzuela Celebrates the Arrival of Galvanize to Phoenix
Vice Mayor Valenzuela Visits Greater Phoenix Economic Council on Latest #yesphx Segment
Vice Mayor Daniel Valenzuela Features #yesphx, Startup Success Allbound in PHXTV November Segments
Vice Mayor Featured on Greater Phoenix Chamber Website
Vice Mayor Daniel Valenzuela Features Startup Success in PHXTV Segment
Vice Mayor Valenzuela Statement on Opening of VA Angels Office in Phoenix
Councilman Daniel Valenzuela Statement on Vote on Strategic Economic Development Fund
Councilman Valenzuela Issues Statement on Creation of Trade Office in Mexico
Councilman Valenzuela's statement on City's Credit Rating
Councilman Valenzuela's Statement on Today's Google Announcement
Councilman Valenzuela's Statement re: Granting CDBG Funds to Support Small Biz
Councilman Valenzuela Hosts Meeting to Discuss PHX Sky Train, Airport Expansion
Council Approves Extension of Milwaukee Brewers Contract at Maryvale Stadium