To provide graduate students with an opportunity to integrate theoretical concepts with practical application under the supervision of successful and dedicated professionals.
Specific learning objectives are contingent on the student's major course of study and professional goals. The internship will include opportunities to enhance knowledge, understanding, and skills in the following areas:
- Program planning and implementation
- Technical skills
- Leadership techniques and skills
- Organization and administrative procedures
- Budgetary process and procedures
- Finance and accounting
- Area facility planning and development
- Maintenance procedures and techniques
- Marketing and public relations
- Community development processes
- Personnel development and supervision techniques
- Park and open space planning, design, and construction
- Performance measurements
- Strategic planning
- Interpersonal relationships with coworkers/supervisors, customers and/or diverse populations.
Applicants must be currently enrolled in a graduate level program such as recreation; parks; leisure services; planning and design/construction; management fields such as landscape architecture, business, marketing, and civil engineering; and other related fields (special education, physical education, public administration) who meets the internship criteria for both the university and the City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department.
Students are required to have a minimum cumulative GPA 2.5 and a minimum 2.75 GPA in their field of study, or have exceptional field experience in the setting. Applicants must include a transcript.
1. In order to be considered, candidates must submit the following items:
A. Cover letter
C. Copy of "Official" Transcripts
D. Letter of recommendation from his/her academic advisor.
E. Intern Application (25kb in Acrobat)
F. Application materials must be received by the following deadline dates:
Fall-June 30 Winter/Spring-October 31 Summer-March 15
2. Once the application packet is received, the internship coordinator will contact the individual candidate for an interview. Interviews can be conducted on site; if an on-site interview is not practical, a telephone interview will be arranged.
City of Phoenix City Hall
Attention: Anissa Jonovich
200 W. Washington St.
16th Floor - Parks and Recreation Department
Phoenix, AZ 85003