Interns will be assigned to special projects to be completed under minimal supervision within a specific timeframe. The projects will be complex in nature and require in-depth research and analysis.
- Familiarize yourself with the procedures/guidelines for the internship.
- Create goals and objectives for your internship.
- Conduct yourself in a professional manner.
- Be timely with all required written communications.
- Communicate effectively with your assigned supervisors.
- Seek opportunities to complement your work and educational experiences.
- Assist parks and recreation staff on projects and assignments.
- Plan in advance for each area/project you are assigned to; ask questions if in doubt.
- Practice excellence in your work.
- Be flexible by working the times and dates assigned to you. You will have to work some evenings and weekends.
- Notify your supervisor in advance of any anticipated absence from work within established City guidelines.
- Evaluate each program and meeting you attend and discuss your observations with your supervisor. Be willing to offer new ideas.
- Be appropriately dressed for all assignments.
- Be friendly, courteous and treat everyone in all circumstances with dignity and respect. You are a representative of the City of Phoenix and the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Ask for advice from your supervisor or the Internship Coordinator regarding any problems you cannot successfully solve yourself.
- Become involved in any opportunity presented to you.
- Show initiative and creativity. Offer ideas and suggestions on program improvements.
- Communicate openly, honestly and professionally with all people with whom you come in contact during your internship.
- When you have free time, use that time to learn more about the operations of the department.
INTERNSHIP COORDINATOR RESPONSIBILITIES
The department and those directly involved with the internship process will make a commitment to the time, energy and resources necessary to provide a quality internship experience.
One staff person is designated as the overall Internship Coordinator. This staff person is responsible for screening, interviewing, processing required paperwork, scheduling, and overall evaluation of the intern. Other professionals will contribute to the internship process in the areas of scheduling, supervising, and evaluation.
The Intern Coordinator will provide prospective interns with sufficient information on the department during the application process so that the student may gain insight into the nature of the program.
The Intern Coordinator is responsible for providing a procedure to determine eligibility of prospective interns, as well as arrange interviews and coordinate selection and notification within a reasonable timeframe.
The Intern Coordinator will design a program for the intern that will provide an orientation to the department, exposure to tasks and responsibilities of an entry level professional, facilitate the opportunity for the student to achieve his/her internship goals and objectives, and make pertinent department information and materials available for the Intern to review.
The Intern Coordinator will coordinate a periodic performance appraisal and schedule a meeting with the intern and department director at midway and the end of the internship to provide feedback on performance.
The Intern Coordinator will inform and consult with the student�s internship advisor/counselor concerning any issues relevant to the Intern that cannot be resolved within the department and influence the Intern�s performanc