PlanPHX General Plan Update: What's Next?
With the General Plan Update adopted by the Phoenix City Council and approved by Phoenix voters, the Planning and Development Department has begun implementation of the next steps as outlined in the updated General Plan. A summary of the key deliverables that will be created during the next phase of the General Plan Update is provided below:
- Village Character Plans: Collaboration with village planning committees to develop a concise planning document that will summarize the village's character and address the village's assets and challenges. The character plan process will also afford the village planning committees the opportunity to collaborate with planners on the development of goals and strategies that support the General Plan.
- Growth Strategy Mapping Exercises: Identification of three areas within each village – Areas of Preservation, Areas of Retrofit and Areas of Growth.
- Village Center Exercises: Assignment of Place Type (Centers) to the areas designated Areas of Growth. The Centers will provide a framework for the scale and intensity of growth at a particular location. There will be a total of seven Centers to choose from. The Centers will be organized into a tier system structured around available and planned infrastructure (i.e. transit, jobs, parks, streets).
General Plan Place Type and Infrastructure Table
For an overview of the General Plan Next Steps, you can watch the Planning and Development Department's presentation to the Phoenix City Council Neighborhood Housing and Development Subcommittee (you can skip forward to the 1:24 mark in the video)
So how do we plan to get all of this done?
For the General Plan Update Next Steps exercises the city's 15 villages have been grouped into the following regions:
- North: Deer Valley, Desert View, North Gateway, Paradise Valley, Rio Vista (Fall 2015 – Fall 2016)
- Southwest: Ahwatukee, Estrella, Laveen, Maryvale, South Mountain (Spring 2016 – Winter 2016)
- Central / East: Alhambra, Central City, Camelback East, Encanto, North Mountain (Fall 2016 – Spring 2017)
You can visit the home pages (see links above) for each of the villages to review where they are at in the process and information related to their planning exercises.
At the end of the General Plan Update character planning and mapping exercises, each of the village planning committees (VPC) will host a regional planning summit.
At the summit each VPC will present their Village Character Plans, Growth Strategy and Centers maps to the Planning Commission and Phoenix City Council. The north village summit is scheduled for September 2016. A similar summit with the southwest villages is tentatively scheduled for November.
PlanPHX in the news