PlanPHX General Plan Update: What's Next?
With the General Plan Update adopted by the Phoenix City Council and approved by Phoenix voters, the Planning and Development Department has begun implementation of the next steps as outlined in the updated General Plan. A summary of the key deliverables that will be created during the next phase of the General Plan Update is provided below:
- Village Character Plans: Collaboration with village planning committees to develop a concise planning document that will summarize the village's character and address the village's assets and challenges. The character plan process will also afford the village planning committees the opportunity to collaborate with planners on the development of goals and strategies that support the General Plan.
- Growth Strategy Mapping Exercises: Identification of three areas within each village – Areas of Preservation, Areas of Retrofit and Areas of Growth.
- Village Center Exercises: Assignment of Place Type (Centers) to the areas designated Areas of Growth. The Centers will provide a framework for the scale and intensity of growth at a particular location. There will be a total of seven Centers to choose from. The Centers will be organized into a tier system structured around available and planned infrastructure (i.e. transit, jobs, parks, streets). Click here to watch a short video on
Northern Village Workshop was a huge success!
Thanks so much to all of you who were able to attend the Northern Village Workshop on May 14. It was awesome to have such a great turnout, and the group discussions and presentations were outstanding! We felt that the workshop was a tremendous success. We'll be discussing the results of the workshop at the June VPC meetings, and will outline a more detailed schedule as we move towards the Northern Village Summit in the fall. Check out photos from the workshop on our Facebook page at the following link.
Northern Village Workshop Materials
So how do we plan to get all of this done?
For the General Plan Update Next Steps exercises the city's 15 villages have been grouped into the following regions:
- North: Deer Valley, Desert View, North Gateway, Paradise Valley, Rio Vista (Fall 2015 – Fall 2016)
- Southwest: Ahwatukee, Estrella, Laveen, Maryvale, South Mountain (Spring 2016 – Winter 2016)
- Central / East: Alhambra, Central City, Camelback East, Encanto, North Mountain (Fall 2016 – Spring 2017)
You can visit the home pages (see links above) for each of the villages to review where they are at in the process and information related to their planning exercises.
At the end of the General Plan Update character planning and mapping exercises, each of the village planning committees (VPC) will host a regional planning summit.
The Northern Village Summit is scheduled for Saturday, October 22 at the Paradise Valley Community Center. See the full event flyer here
. During the Summit there will be an opportunity to learn about city planning topics, preview draft village character plans for the five northern villages (Rio Vista, North Gateway, Deer Valley, Paradise Valley, and Desert View Villages) and preview the preliminary results of the centers mapping exercises that have been conducted over the past few months. Your input is welcome. Thanks to a donation from the Arizona Community Foundation we will be providing refreshments and lunch at the Summit. Register today for the Summit at the following web page
For questions about the summit, please call 602-262-6823 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
PlanPHX in the news