Per Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, “No person in the United States shall, on the grounds of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.”
Every three years, each recipient of federal funding must submit an updated Title VI Program that documents compliance with federal Title VI guidance. As the primary (designated) recipient of FTA funding in the Phoenix-Metro region, the City of Phoenix Public Transit Department (PTD) is required to submit such a program. The PTD Title VI Program is also required by FTA guidance to be approved by the agency’s governing body, the Phoenix City Council.
Per the FTA’s updated Circular 4702.1B, Chapter III, PTD’s Title VI Program should include the following:
- A signed Title VI assurance and governing body approval of the overall Title VI Program
- A copy of the agency’s public notice with a list of where the notice is posted
- Instructions for how to file a complaint with a copy of the complaint form
- A list of any Title VI investigations, complaints or lawsuits and how such complaints were addressed and resolved by the City of Phoenix Public Transit Department
- A Public Participation Plan and list of outreach activities conducted since the last submission
- A Language Assistance Plan for providing language assistance
- A table depicting the racial composition of transportation-related committees, boards, and advisory councils
- Title VI analyses conducted for applicable facilities
- System-wide standards and policies
- Demographic and service profile maps and charts
- Fare and Service Equity Policy
- Origin and Destination data to include customer travel patterns and demographic makeup
- Service Monitoring Program
- Description of how the primary recipient of FTA funding monitors for compliance
The draft PTD Title VI Program will be available for download from the link below, or a copy can be made available upon request at the PTD’s offices at 302 North 1st Avenue, 9th floor, Phoenix, 85003.
The Phoenix Public Transit Department is recommending Phoenix City Council approve the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) required 2015 Title VI Program Update at the September 8, 2015 Phoenix City Council Policy Meeting.