Public Transit Service Changes
Local bus route improvements in Phoenix begin April 23
To better serve transit riders in Phoenix, service changes are implemented two times a year. The upcoming improvements are a direct result of the continuing improvements to the system, thanks to the voter-approved Phoenix Transportation 2050 plan (T2050).
Highlights include adding off-peak frequency to routes 3 (Van Buren Street) and 19 (19th Avenue), and an extension of Route 32 (32nd Street) from 44th and Washington streets, to the Arizona Mills Mall in Tempe, as well as the extension of Route 51 (51st Avenue), which now extends south to Pecos Road and the Vee Quiva Casino on the Gila River Indian Community.
The first set of changes for 2018 start on April 23 to the following routes:
Frequency adjustments -
- Route 3 – Van Buren Street: 15-minute frequency between 35th Avenue and 32nd Street between 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Route 19 – 19th Avenue: 15-minute frequency between Van Buren Street and Union Hills Drive between 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Route modification and/or extension -
- Route 1 – Washington Street: In Phoenix, the route will now stay on Washington Street, eliminating the stop into the PHX Sky Train station.
- Route 10 – Roosevelt Street: Slight schedule adjustments at Roosevelt and 32nd streets. Check transit book for time changes.
- Route 29 – Thomas Road: Schedule adjustments throughout the route. Check transit book for time changes.
- Route 30 – University Drive: Weekday service to South Mountain Community College will operate from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. The route no longer serves SMCC on weekends and ends at the 24th Street/Baseline Road Park-and-Ride.
- Route 32 – 32nd Street: The route extends from 44th and Washington streets to Baseline Road and Priest Drive in Tempe near Arizona Mills Mall. The route travels on 44th Street, University Drive, 40th Street and Baseline Road.
- Route 51 – 51st Avenue: Route now has 30-minute service to Baseline Road in Phoenix, and 60-minute service to Pecos Road at the Vee Quiva Casino on the Gila River Indian Community.
- Route 251 – 51st Avenue/Baseline Road: Replaced by the extension of Route 51. Riders can use Route 77 to connect to the 27th Avenue and Baseline Road Park-and-Ride.
- Route 77 – Baseline Road: Increase mid-day service to SMCC from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- South Mountain East RAPID: The South Mountain East RAPID now uses 24th Street to connect the East Baseline Park-and-Ride to downtown Phoenix. The route uses 24th Street and Washington/Jefferson streets. Pick-ups at the East Baseline Park-and-Ride will be on 24th Street. NOTE: "Central" has been removed from the route name.
The next service change occurs Oct. 22, 2018, and the public is invited to give input on proposed October 2018 bus service changes later this month. Please check www.valleymetro.org/service-changes for more information.