Phoenix Police Department is Currently Hiring
POLICE UPDATE NOTICES:
For those applicants who meet the
minimum qualifications register for the written exam here under Current Job Openings.
The written exam will be administered on the following dates:
- July 27, 2019, at 8:00 a.m.
- August 8, 2019, at 2:00 p.m.
- August 17, 2019, at 8:00 a.m.
- August 30, 2019, at 2:00 p.m.
Registered applicants will receive an email confirmation with test location and further information.
Lateral Police Officers
Out of state laterals must have at least one full year of experience as a first responder excluding academy time, administrative assignments or jail/detention officer duties
Police Officer Lateral Transfers
How to Start Your Career with the Phoenix Police Department
The Written Test
Qualified applicants will receive a letter inviting them to the written test. Note: Applicants will not be admitted to the test without a photo ID.
STEP 3: Background Questionnaire Investigation & Interview
The AzPOST background packet will be completed by those who successfully complete the written exam. In order to continue with the application process, please open the two documents below, complete the background packet according to the instructions, and return your completed background packet to the Phoenix Police Department Employment Services Bureau. You must have successfully completed the written exam for Police Recruit prior to submitting a Background Packet. Completed background packets may be turned in on the day of the written exam pending a successful outcome on the test.
Qualified applicants are contacted a short time later (1-4 weeks) to set-up the initial interview. Applicants will now be required to bring a completed resume to their first interview.
STEP 4: Polygraph Examination
Applicants will be given a polygraph examination (lie detector test) administered by a trained, professional examiner. The test will confirm information noted on the applicant's background investigation packet.
STEP 5: Peace Officer Physical Aptitude Test (POPAT)
Offered only to those who successfully pass the first 4 steps in the hiring process. The test will be administered at the Phoenix Regional Academy and will be scheduled by an assigned background detective. The test consists of the following 5 assessments:
- 99-YARD OBSTACLE COURSE: Run a 99-yard obstacle course consisting of several sharp turns, a number of curb height obstacles, and a 34-inch high obstacle that must be vaulted.
- BODY DRAG: Lift and drag 165-pound, lifelike dummy 32 feet.
- CHAIN-LINK FENCE: Run five yards to a six-foot, chain-link fence, climb over fence, continue running another 25 yards.
- SOLID FENCE CLIMB: Run five yards to a six-foot solid fence, climb over fence, continue running another 25 yards.
- 500-YARD RUN: Run 500 yards (equivalent to one lap plus 60 yards of a standard running track).
For more information regarding the Peace Officer Physical Aptitude Test, please visit: https://post.az.gov/sites/default/files/documents/files/POPAT%20Section%20of%20Rules%2007%20web.pdf
Applicants will be evaluated by a licensed psychologist.
Applicants will undergo a complete medical examination given by a licensed physician.
Controlled Substance Screening
Applicants will be required to submit to a urinalysis at some point in the hiring process.
Phone: 602-534-COPS (2677)