Step 1: Complete AZPOST Personal History Packet
- Complete an AZPOST Personal History Statement (PH) at
--> my.azpost.gov and share with Phoenix Police Department. Record the AZPOST Form ID number for your records as this will be needed in the next step to register for the written/online exam.
Step 2: Register For Written or Online Examination
- Register For a Written or Online Test here:
- Register for Police Recruit Exam <-- Click here
(if an oracle page pops up, close page and click link again.)
- In Person Test: In search box, type "Police Recruit"
- Online Test: (out of state applicants) In search box, type job code "39748"
- Applicant Information Sheet and Notary 2020 NEW.pdf
(Click above link)
- **In order to expedite your application please bring notarized copies of the above PDF documents with you to the written examination.**
- A 70% or higher is passing score for this written exam:
- Study guide for purchase through exam vendor IPMA:
STEP 3: Peace Officer Physical Aptitude Test (POPAT)
Offered the same day as the written exam. The test will be administered at the Phoenix Regional Police Academy 10001 S. 15th Ave Phoenix, AZ 85041.
The POPAT consists of the following events:
Solid Fence Climb
Chain Link Fence Climb
165lb Body Drag
99 Yard Obstacle (agility) Course
500 Yard Run
Visit the Phoenix Police YouTube channel for instructional videos or click each of the links above.
More information regarding POPAT (PDF)
**Qualified applicants will be contacted after completion of the physical agility assessment (POPAT).**
If you haven't been contacted within 2-4 weeks, call the Employment Services Bureau at 602-262-6925 to find out the status of your background packet.
STEP 4: Background Interview
After successful completion of the POPAT, applicants will be contacted by a background investigator to schedule an interview.
STEP 5: Polygraph Examination
Applicants will be given a polygraph examination (lie detector test) administered by a trained, professional examiner. The test will confirm information noted on the applicant's background packet.
STEP 6: Community Interview
Structured interview with community members and professional staff.
STEP 7: Psychological Test
Applicants will be evaluated by a licensed psychologist.
STEP 8: Medical Examination
Applicants will undergo a complete medical examination given by a licensed physician
STEP 9: Controlled Substance Screening
Applicants will be required to submit to a urinalysis at some point in the hiring process.