The Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department is pleased to provide this update on the current status of the Cholla Trail project.
Popular Phoenix hiking trail Cholla Trail at Camelback Mountain opened to the public on Sept. 30, 2022. The trail had been closed due to construction and a trailhead realignment that moved the trailhead from Cholla Lane to Invergordon Road. The new trailhead now offers hikers amenities such as a drinking fountain, restrooms and bike racks.
Completing the Cholla Trail Realignment Project was a joint effort between the Parks and Recreation Department, Street Transportation Department, Phoenix Fire Department and the Town of Paradise Valley. All parties played a crucial role in making this project safe and accessible for first responders, hikers and surrounding residents.
Construction Process and Updates
- A restroom renovation was completed
- We are now working with APS to energize the restroom
- New irrigation system installed
- Tree and Shrub planting completed
- Trail work completed
- The project was reopened September 30, 2022.
- Since 1997, the City of Phoenix has utilized an easement on Phoenician land which provides hikers with access to the popular Cholla Trail on the east side of Camelback Mountain. From 1997 until March 2020, hikers were permitted to park only on Invergordon Road, then walk up Cholla Lane to access the trail. This condition created several undesirable hiking conditions.
- Due to the volume of hikers, which often reached over 10,000 per month, people frequently walked on the street rather than the trail alongside Cholla Lane. Hikers on the street created obvious safety concerns which led the Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department (Parks) to begin planning a safer trail alignment.
- Recent efforts by Parks have focused on finding a solution that allows hikers to access Cholla Trail without walking up Cholla Lane. In the past several years, the redevelopment of the Phoenician golf course property provided the opportunity to consider an alternative trail alignment. Parking access will continue to be limited to on street parking on the west side of Invergordon. Access to the trail is now directly from the sidewalks on the west side of Invergordon to a pedestrian entry gate.
- An alternative route was designed that reroutes the trail off of Invergordon, south of Cholla Lane, thereby avoiding Cholla Lane.
- The new alignment also provides a more natural hiking experience, away from City streets.
- Special consideration was given to provide visual screening using plant material between the trail and adjacent residences.
- Chilled drinking water and restroom facilities are provided at the existing restroom building that had been part of the golf course.
Cholla Trail Relocation - Illustrative Plan
- Since the closure of Cholla Trail in 2020, Park Rangers, Park Stewards and a trail contractor have completed hundreds of hours of trail work to improve the upper reaches of the trail. They have removed unstable boulders, greatly improved the trail tread and incorporated additional trail posts and wayfinding efforts which have resulted in a much safer trail.
Questions or Comments
Back to Projects