STEP 1: Apply online at www.phoenix.gov/employment
Complete the required information and submit.
The results of the application and pre-screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
If eligible for the position, you will be contacted via email to move on in the next step of the hiring process. Be sure to check your junk mail folder as well.
Download the Communications Guidelines and Terminology to prepare for the computer simulated test.
How to Prepare for the Testing Process
STEP 2: Computer Simulated Test - CritiCall
CritiCall is computerized simulator software that test the applicant's skills and abilities in data entry and multi-tasking. Applicants will wear headphones and be tested on areas such as:
- Memory recall
- Data Entry
The test takes about an hour and 15 minutes to complete
STEP 3: Panel Interview
Preparing for Your Oral Board (PDF)
STEP 4: Background Process
The Phoenix Police Department Background Packet will be completed by those who successfully complete each of the first four steps in the Communications hiring process. Successful applicants will be notified when to submit the background packet to the Phoenix Police Department Employment Services Bureau.
Download the Background Packet: Police Communications Operator Background Packet and Information (PDF)
- Background Questionnaire Investigation and Interview: Applicants will be contacted by a background detective after the background packet has been received, to schedule a background interview.
- Polygraph Examination: Applicants will be given a polygraph examination (lie detector test) administered by a trained, professional examiner. The test will confirm information noted on the applicant's background investigation packet.
- Note: Process takes 4 to 8 weeks from time questionnaire is turned in
Please consider the following general disqualifiers before applying for the position:
- Felonies: Conviction of a felony
- Misdemeanors: Conviction of job-related misdemeanor within the last 3 years.
- Drug Use: Illegal marijuana use occurring within the last 12 months
- Other Illegal drug use occurring within the last 5 years
- Financial: Job-related negative financial history occurring within the last 5 years
- Driving: Job-related negative driving history occurring within the last 5 years
This is not an all-inclusive list. Other factors (i.e., poor driving record, immoral conduct, criminal activity, dishonesty) will also be assessed and may lead to disqualification. Individuals should consider all of these factors when applying. Exceptions may apply and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.Step 5: Controlled Substance Screening
- Applicants will be required to submit to a urinalysis at some point in the hiring process