As a Desert City, the City has adapted to the effects of urban heat island by incorporating a potpurri of policies, programs and actions into daily life. With international recognition for its record temperatures, Phoenix is also the epi-center of research related to heat. Yet with forecasts of increasing temperatures over the coming decades, and the disproportionate effects of heat on vulnerable populations, Phoenix recognizes a coordinated and cohesive approach is necessary to become a "HeatReady City".
The menu on left seperates the overall HeatReady framework into six broad categories. Select from the menu to learn more about each category:
- Summer Heat Safety to learn about responding to heat emergencies and learn about heat safety.
- Heat Actions to learn about specific programs implemented to address heat.
- Heat Research to learn about new technologies and the latest heat research
- Heat Policy to learn about innovative policies planned or adopted by the City related to heat
- Heat related MAPS to show the many HEAT AND EQUITY MAPS used to inform Heat Actions
- Governance to learn about recent changes to track and report on city-wide efforts related to heat.