The City of Phoenix is currently accepting applications for Firefighter Recruit!
Recruitment will close on February 4, 2019. All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. on this date.
$23.090 hourly; $48,027 annually.
- Must be at least 18 years of age by March 5, 2019.
- Proof of successful completion of a Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) from a licensed agency required at time of final interview. This certification must be no more than 6 months old at time of final selection interview.
- Must possess State of Arizona Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification at time of final selection interview. National Registry EMT certification not accepted. Go to the AZ Department of Health Services website to check on transferring your EMT Certification.
- Ability to read and comprehend written material at a level appropriate for this assignment.
- Applicants with at least a high school diploma or GED are preferred (reading material used on the written exam, during the Academy, and on the job will be at approximately grade 14 reading level).
- The City job description can be found here.
To apply, check "CURRENT JOB OPENINGS" on the City of Phoenix Employment website and search for Firefighter Recruit, job opening ID 30068.
The written exam will be administered on March 5, 2019. You MUST apply online at the link above by February 4, 2019 to be invited to take the written exam. Exam invitations will be emailed to the address you provide in your applicant registration profile – please make the City of Phoenix a "safe sender" in your email.
Here is the study guide for the written exam.
See Frequently Asked Questions below for more information.
E-mail questions: email@example.com
Phoenix FD is holding recruitment information sessions for Firefighter Recruit, in order to provide potential applicants with basic knowledge of the testing process as well as some resources to help kick start their career. Attendees MUST sign up to reserve a spot. Multiple sessions are available. Please sign up for one of these sessions today!
There are several steps you must take to be
eligible to become a professional firefighter. For more information, please see
the links below.
Here is information on each step in the
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certification
Every Phoenix Firefighter is required to obtain and maintain a State of Arizona
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certification.
CPAT - Candidate Physical Ability Test
Proof of successful completion of a
Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) from a licensed agency within 6 months is required at the scheduled date of your final selection interview.
Firefighter I & II Certification
Firefighter I & II Certification may be obtained from a number of sources. To assist you we have identified a few. Firefighter candidates are not required to have Firefighter 1 & 2 certification.
The Phoenix Fire Department Cadet Program was started in 1975. The purpose of the program is to provide cadets with hands-on emergency medical training, work experience at fire stations, training in firefighter skills and volunteerism for the community.
Fire Science Classes
The Maricopa Community College District is a great resource to prepare you for a career as a firefighter. Current and former firefighters work as adjunct faculty and are there to help you prepare for a career as a firefighter. Click here to locate
Fire Science Classes.
An Affinity Group is a group of people formed around a shared interest or common goal who support each other and work together. There are several groups associated with the fire department. Please contact them directly.
Fitness Preparation is a very important part of the employment process.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for answers to
frequently asked questions.