Watch Children Around Water!
Too often, firefighters hear people say, "I only turned my back for a few seconds." Sadly, just a few seconds is all it takes for a child to drown. Drowning is one of the leading causes of death for children under age four in Arizona. Most children drown in their own pools, but many children drown in canals, buckets, toilets, bathtubs and ponds. Non-fatal incidents are also tragic. Non-fatals can cause permanent brain damage. Drowning and non-fatal incidents can be prevented! Anyone involved with young children needs to be aware of this potential tragedy.
If you find someone in trouble in the water:
- Yell for help and pull the person out of the water.
- Call 9-1-1 immediately! Stay on the line.
- Begin CPR.
- If you are not trained, follow the instructions from the 9-1-1 operator until help arrives.
How to prevent drowning:
- Use an approved barrier to separate the pool from the house.
- NEVER allow children to be alone near a pool or any water source. This includes bathtubs, buckets, toilets, ponds and canals.
- Have life-saving devices near the pool, such as a hook, pole, or flotation device.
- Keep large objects such as tables, chairs, tricycles or ladders away from pool fences.
- NEVER leave children unattended in or around a pool. ALWAYS have a designated child watcher.
- Do not allow children to play in the pool area. Store all toys outside of the pool area.
- If you leave the pool area, take the child (children) with you.
Pool Safety Tips:
- Learn to swim.
- Never swim alone.
- Never swim under the influence of alcohol or medications.
- Never swim when you hear thunder or see lightning.
- Never dive into an unfamiliar body of water.
For a printable Water Safety brochure, click
Swimming Lessons are available at some City of Phoenix Pools locations.
Green Pools - To report a stagnant green pool contact City of Phoenix Neighborhood Services: 602-262-7844 / TTY: 602-495-0685 or contact
Maricopa County at 602-506-6616
Drowning & Water Incident Statistics
2019 Phoenix Drowning Incidents To Date (updated 1/7/19)
Total Incidents: 0
Total Fatalities: 0
Total Adult Incidents
Total Child Incidents
Total Adult Fatalities
Total Child Fatalities
To see Valleywide drowning incident statistics, click
Seguridad en el agua En Espanol
Drowning Support Group (Led by the parent of a drowning victim, this group is for families (immediate and extended) who have experienced a drowning incident.)
More water safety information: