The Housing Department administers programs to promote and increase homeownership opportunities for Phoenix families. Here you will find information about the Section 32 Homeownership Program and the Open Doors Homeownership Program. Both of these programs are designed to assist eligible first-time homebuyers with the purchase of an affordable home.
Section 32 Homeownership Program
Section 32 Homeownership is offered to first-time homebuyers who are at or below 80% Area Median Income (AMI), and who will use the home as their primary residence. The purchase price will be the current (within 6 months of purchase) appraised value of the home. Eligible properties must pass a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspection. Homeownership, financial fitness and hands-on maintenance classes are also required. Some program benefits may include:
- 20% discount off home appraisal value
- Guidance through the homeownership process
- Possible grant for down payment and closing costs
- Possible additional subsidies
- One-year home warranty
- Lower monthly payment
For more information about the Section 32 Homeownership Program, call 602-534-4584.
Section 32 Program Forms and Documents
Open Doors Homeownership ProgramThe Open Doors Homeownership Program provides up to $15,000 to assist first-time homebuyers with down payment and closing costs. Eligible buyers must complete eight (8) hours of Homebuyer Education from a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) certified housing counseling agency, earn at or below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI) and purchase a home in the city of Phoenix. The Open Doors Homeownership Program is administered by Community Housing Resources of Arizona and Chicanos Por La Causa. Homeownership assistance funds are offered as a deferred payment loan that:
- Has an interest rate of 0% with no monthly principal payments
- Is up to $15,000 with repayment due on sale, change in residency, or refinancing within the first 15 years of homeownership
- Is forgiven after 15 years
- Can be layered with other homeownership assistance programs (except the Section 32 Homeownership Program)
For more information and eligibility requirements, view the Open Doors Homeownership Fact Sheets below, or call 602-261-8646.