Resources for Picnics, Gatherings, and Events
The two ramadas located in the park are first-come, first-served. The Amphitheater Island picnic and event space requires a reservation, please contact 602-262-6412.
The historic Encanto Clubhouse and Boathouse are a favorite destination for weddings and receptions.
Learn more about reserving the Clubhouse and/or Boathouse.
Special Activity Requests are required for gatherings that have any of the following:
Encanto Park History
Encanto Park was conceptualized by William G. Hartranft, a millionaire philanthropist and chair of the first Phoenix Parks and Recreation Board, who envisioned a park of similar scale to Balboa in San Diego and Golden Gate in San Francisco. To that end, he led the parks board to acquire 200 acres of property that at the time sat outside the city limits.
Construction of the park began in 1935. The clubhouse, lagoon, boat dock, 18-hole golf course, band shell, playground areas, tennis and horseshoe courts, and archery range were completed in three years.
In 1946, members of the Valley Garden Center entered into a 99-year deal with the city to lease a three-acre strip of land just south of Encanto Park for $1. In 1948, they raised the money to build the center, opening it in early 1949. With two large gathering rooms, a kitchen, nearly three-acres of lush grounds, and a 100-year-old mesquite tree, the garden is a popular setting for meetings, weddings and receptions.
The park's south side was renovated in 1982. New game courts replaced the archery range, and parking and play equipment was added.
Reconstruction of the north side began in 1986, and included revamping the lagoon and channel systems, building new restrooms, sidewalks, and a boathouse, and adding area lights and play equipment.