Project UpdatesJuly 2022 Update
About the Project
The Phoenix Street Transportation Department is proposing an update to the driving lanes and biking lanes on 3rd Avenue from Thomas to Osborn Roads.
If approved, the timeline for the project would be winter 2022.
- Buffers and vertical delineators would be added to the existing bike lanes on 3rd Avenue, and one driving lane in each direction would be removed to make space for the protected bike lanes.
- Parking will not be impacted, as there currently is no parking allowed along this section of 3rd Avenue.
- This segment is part of the Phoenix Sonoran Bikeway, a long-standing bicycle route that helps build connections to the Grand Canalscape and downtown region.
Surrounding Area Details
- This project would be the continuation of lane changes that have already been made from Osborn to Indian School Roads. Currently, Osborn to Indian School Roads on 3rd Avenue have one driving lane in each direction, with a center turn lane and protected bike lanes.
- The department also is working to improve bicycle facitilites on 3rd Avenue from McDowell to Thomas Roads. The Thomas to Osborn Roads bikeway improvements would connect the existing improvements north of Osborn Road with the eventual improvements south of Thomas Road.