The following list is provided as examples of items normally inspected as part of the Housing Quality Standards Inspection. This list is not all inclusive but indicative of inspection requirements.
- Is there proper grounding of main electrical service panel and bonding of gas and water lines?
- Is the main electrical service panel adequate for the residence?
- Are knock outs installed in any open spaces in the breaker box?
- Are there proper size type �S� fuses and adapters for all Edison base fuse holders?
- Are there rain tight outlets, boxes, and covers for all outside receptacles?
- Are there any missing or broken receptacles, switches, cover plates, junction boxes, and light fixtures?
- Is there any extension cord wiring used as permanent wiring?
- Is there approved 3-prong grounded or GFCI receptacles for all kitchen, bathroom, laundry, exterior and furnace?
WATER HEATERS, FURNACES & GAS:
- Is there a U.L approved type vent cap on water heater & furnace?
- Is there an approved vent pipe on water heater & furnace?
- Is there an approved pressure relief valve?
- Is there a full size discharge line (3/4�) to drain to an approved drain or outside?
- Is there an A.G.A. approved gas cock and gas flex line on all gas appliances?
- Are there both upper & lower combustion air vents at least 10�x10�?
- Is there adequate heating for the entire residence?
- Is all gas piping secure?
- Are there gas meters in driveways or too close to exterior water heaters or evaporative coolers?
- Is your gas water heater or heater in a garage raised a minimum of 18� from the ground?
- Are there an approved vent, standpipe and drain for clothes washer?
- Is there a main cold water gate valve?
- Are water closets properly sealed and secured?
- Are there any leaking or corroded drain pipes, supply lines or valves?
- Are there FHA approved straps for top/bottom of all carport, patio or porch posts?
- Are there approved joist hangars, framing anchors to secure carport roof rafters to fascia?
- Are there approved joist hangars, framing anchors to secure patio roof to fascia?
- Are the window bars on bedroom windows constructed so bars can be released from the inside without keys or special knowledge required? No double key dead bolts allowed.
- Workable locks on all operable windows, bathroom doors and outside doors.
- All floor covering in safe and decent condition. Concrete flooring must be polished or painted & sealed.
- Rodents and insects properly exterminated to have no live or dead bugs at inspections.
- Doors, windows, drawers and all hardware must be in good operating condition.
- No broken or cracked window panes.
- Are exterior wall and trim painted and free from repair needs?
- Are interior walls and ceilings free from repair needs?
- Roofing in good condition, and free from leaks.
- Separate entrance for each bedroom off common hallway.
- Bedrooms must have closets with clothes rod, privacy door, fire egress and permanent cooling & heating (No space heaters).
- Bedrooms 70 sq.ft . � minimum size.
- In multi-bedroom units, common bathroom accessible from a common entrance.
- SMOKE DETECTORS REQUIRED! (Minimum 1 per floor). Ceiling mounted alarms must be at least four inches from wall; Wall mounted alarms must be four to twelve inches from ceiling.