In 2001 Firefighter Bret Tarver lost his life fighting a fire in a building that had no fire sprinklers. That loss inspired the City of Phoenix to be more proactive in sprinkler requirements and the resulting action was the creation of the Bret Tarver Ordinance, Section 903.2
Phoenix Fire Code.
For Additional Residential Sprinkler Information click
2012 Phoenix Fire Code
AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER SYSTEMS
903.1 Bret Tarver Sprinkler Ordinance
An approved automatic sprinkler system shall be installed throughout all levels of all new Group A, B, E, F, H, I, M, R-1, R-2, R-4 and S occupancies of any size and throughout all R-3 including one- and two-family dwellings built under the International Residential Code, and U occupancies of more than 5,000 square feet. The calculated area of Group R-3 occupancies shall include all livable space and the area of any attached garage and carports or areas located under living spaces. Automatic sprinkler systems shall be installed in accordance with NFPA 13 for Group A, B, E, F, H, I, M, R-1, R-2, R-4 and S occupancies. Automatic sprinkler systems shall be installed in accordance with NFPA 13R for residential occupancies up to and including four stories in height, in Groups R-1, R-2, R-4 occupancies and NFPA 13D for one- and two-family dwellings and mobile homes in group R-3 and R-4 occupancies with 6-10 licensed beds. Exceptions to or reductions in code requirements are not allowed for the installation of residential sprinkler systems installed in accordance with NFPA 13R and NFPA 13D unless specifically allowed by the International Building Code. Exceptions to or reductions in code requirements for NFPA 13 systems allowed in the International Building code are allowed.
1. Detached gazebos, temporary tents and ramadas for residential and public use.
2. Independent building of any construction or occupancy other than Group E or H of 700 square feet or less.
3. Detached non-combustible carports or parking canopies regardless of size, Detached non combustible canopies used exclusively for automotive motor fuel dispensing station not exceeding 5,000 sq ft
4. Factory built buildings utilized as temporary office buildings similar to real estate leasing offices and construction offices.
903.1.1. Retrofit. Existing buildings are required to comply with the provisions of 903.2 when any of the following apply:
903.1.2 Retrofit in R-3 occupancies.
One or more additions within any 3 year period are made to a Group R-3 occupancy and comply with all of the following:
1. The aggregate of the additions exceeds 50% of the square footage of the house as of June 17, 2002.
2. The new total area of the building is greater than 5,000 square feet.
The calculated area of Group R-3 occupancies shall include all livable space and the area of any attached garage, carports, aircraft hangar or basement.
903.1.3 Building Additions. Building additions in existing occupancies other than Group R-3 shall be protected by an automatic fire sprinkler when:
1. Building additions that equal 50% or more of the existing building floor area, or exceed 10,000 square feet; whichever is less.
2. Two or more building permits related to increased square footage are issued over any three consecutive years where:
2.1 The aggregate of the additions exceeds 50% of the square footage of the building as of June 17, 2002.
2.2 The new total area of the building is greater than 10,000 square feet.
3. Are required to be protected in accordance with the City of Phoenix Building Code or City of Phoenix Residential Code.
903.1.4 Building remodels. An automatic fire sprinkler system shall be installed when 50% or more of the roof structure is replaced or repaired or, when the removal of existing fire rated assemblies results in an increase of the original basic fire area.
903.1.5 Change of occupancy within hazard level 1. An automatic fire sprinkler system shall installed when a building regardless of the building area, undergoes a change of occupancy within hazard level 1.
903.1.6 Change of occupancy over 2,500 square feet. An automatic fire sprinkler system shall installed in any building 2,500 square feet or greater that undergoes a change of occupancy.
903.1.7 Change of occupancy under 2,500 square feet. An automatic fire sprinkler system shall be installed in any building 2,500 square feet or less that under1goes a change of occupancy to a higher hazard level as defined by Table 903.1.7.
An automatic fire sprinkler system is not required when:
1. The occupancy is 1,500 square feet or less and;
2. There are openings entirely above the adjoining ground level totaling at least 20 square feet in each 50 linear feet or fraction thereof, of exterior wall in the story on at least one side. Openings shall have a minimum dimension of not less than 30 inches. Such openings shall be accessible to the fire department from the exterior and shall not be obstructed in a manner that fire fighting or rescue cannot be accomplished from the exterior, and
3. The occupancy is not classified as Group H.
903.1.8 Sprinkler systems – partially sprinklered buildings. When existing non-sprinklered buildings of mixed occupancy are required to install sprinklers based on a change of occupancy classification, sprinklers shall be installed throughout the fire area that includes the new occupancy. The fire resistance rating of fire barriers or horizontal assemblies separating sprinklered and non-sprinklered fire areas shall be a minimum of 2 hours. Fire Department connection signage shall be in accordance with Section 912.
Exception: R-1, R-2, R-4 and multi-story buildings.
Table 903.1.7 Hazard Level
|1 (Highest)||H, I, A, R-1, R-2||H, I, A, R-1, R-2, R-4, S-3, B|
|2||S-1, S-5, F-1||S-1, F-1|
|3||E, F-2, S-2, S-3, S-4||E, F-2, S-2|
|4 (Lowest)||B, M, U, R-3||B, M, U, R-3|