The 2012 Phoenix Building Construction Code became effective July 1, 2013.
Building codes are published to meet the needs of local jurisdictions charged with enforcement of building standards for construction and use, and are updated to reflect the latest standards of life-safety and construction technology. The amendments to the 2012 building codes were adopted by City Council on May 15, 2013, following an open discussion with the community.
The following lists the adopted city of Phoenix base codes and amendment packages. Remember, a complete code package includes both the adopted base code and the Phoenix amendment package. For code adoption effective dates, refer to the Phoenix Construction Code history page (PDF).
Per Section 16 of Ordinance G5809 adopting the 2012 building codes, any person who has completed more than 50% of the design work on any project may apply to complete the design using the 2006 building codes. Application may be informal and completed by letter or email to the project's Team Leader. If approved, the designer will have until December 30, 2013 to submit the plans for review using the repealed codes.
- To view code amendment proposals currently in process, click here.
- To view the base codes adopted, select from the following links:
2012 International Code Council Codes
2011 National Electrical Code/NFPA-70
2012 Uniform Plumbing Code (to purchase)
- To view all of the city's code amendments, select the appropriate PDF formatted links below.
- To view amendments incorporated after the adoption of the 2012 Phoenix Building Construction Code, select the appropriate PDF formatted links below. These amendments also appear in the discipline-specific amendments above.
- Ordinance G-5896 adopted February 26, 2014
IBC 105.2. Work exempt from permit
IBC 119 Journeyman/Apprentice Licenses
IBC 706.1.1 Party Walls
IRC R313 Sprinklers
UPC 912 Air Admittance Valves
If you need further information or would like to speak to someone in person, please contact Planning & Development at 602-495-7462 or email at email@example.com.