Councilwoman Thelda Williams, District 1
The following also is provided in Spanish. Lo siguiente tambien es provisto en Espanol
"My goals are to make District 1 the model for all districts to follow; to maintain a community where families can live comfortably and raise their children in a safe, nurturing environment; to engage the citizens to become involved in community events and to take pride in maintaining their neighborhoods; to maintain and enhance streets and neighborhoods in order to preserve the look and feel of a vibrant community that is determined to be the best; and to provide residents with a quality of life that is second to none." - Councilwoman Williams
Thelda Williams was re-elected in 2015 for a third four-year term as District 1 Councilwoman. She has served on the Phoenix City Council since 2008. Previously, she served on the Council from 1989 to 1996 and as interim mayor in 1994.
Before joining the council, she was the Division Commander of the Custody Support/Inmate Programs Division at the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office from 1996 to 2007, where she supervised the Sheriff's MASH Unit for abused and neglected animals, Hard Knocks High School for incarcerated juveniles, the Alpha Program for drug and/or alcohol-addicted inmates, and all religious and adult programs.
Councilwoman Williams has been active in community affairs for a number of years, having served on numerous boards and commissions including the City of Phoenix Aviation Advisory Board, the City of Phoenix Transit Commission, the Block Watch Oversight Committee, the Deer Valley Planning Committee, the Phoenix Planning and Zoning Committee, the Maricopa Association of Governments Board, Women in Local Government Association, Governor's Commission to Prevent Violence Against Women, and the Maricopa County Adult Probation Advisory Board.
Councilwoman Williams currently serves on the following Phoenix City Council Subcommittees:
- Transportation & Infrastructure Subcommittee, Chair
- Downtown, Aviation and Redevelopment Subcommittee, member
- Public Safety and Veterans Subcommittee, member
Councilwoman Williams serves on the following Councils and Boards:
- Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport Board, Chair
- Valley Metro Rail Board of Directors, Chair
- Arizona Municipal Water Users Association (AMWUA), Vice President
- Valley Metro RPTA Board of Directors, Treasurer
- City of Phoenix Audit Committee, member
- Luke AFB West Valley Council, member
- Washington Elementary School District Business Advisory Team, member
- Childhelp Arizona State Advisory Board of Directors, member
City of Phoenix, Council Office
200 W. Washington St., 11th floor
Phoenix, AZ 85003