The City of Phoenix Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program has three alternatives for filing taxes for those meeting eligibility requirements. Free services ensure all taxpayer's income, deductions and allowable credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) are claimed and increase taxpayer education while promoting self-sufficiency. Save hundreds of dollars in paid preparer fees. First come, first served.
You have choices when it comes to getting your taxes done with VITA:
1. Do it Yourself (Facilitated Self-Assistance)
· Prepare your own federal and state tax return using our FREE online software in the comfort and safety of your home
· Income limitation is $73,000 Adjusted Gross Income
· Interview-based software helps you file an accurate return
· Available in Spanish
· File electronically and get your refund faster
· You will have access to your tax return at any time with your secure log-in
· Requires basic computer skills and access to last year's tax return
· Volunteers will be available to answer basic tax law questions within the scope of the City of Phoenix VITA Program
Send an email to email@example.com to receive the FREE tax preparation software link and instructions.
Watch a video to learn how to use the Do It Yourself system.
Do It Yourself Instructions 1-19-22 Web.pdf
Do It Yourself Instructions Espanol .pdf
2. Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program Virtual Drop Off Services
· Certified IRS tax volunteers prepare and e-file tax returns
·Low to moderate income taxpayers ($58,000 or less per household)
For the quickest service, please make an appointment on-line
at the location and time that best suits you!
Schedule Your Appointment Now!
Steps to schedule an appointment for services:
1. Click on the link above and answer preliminary questions to determine if you qualify for services.
2. Submit request for an appointment.
3. Once approved, you will receive a Dropf Off site location and confirmed appointment time email.
4. You will only be contacted by telephone if the volunteer needs to ask clarifying quetions to make your appointment.
Drop Off Appointment
During the appointment, a volunteer will make a copy of your original documents and schedule a Pick Up appointment for you. Documents must be provided in person and cannot be downloarded or sent electronically.
Tax Preparation Processing
During the VITA tax preparation review you may receive a phone call from a VITA Volunteer asking clarifying questions. Please ensure that you respond promptly to their call.
Pick Up Appointment
Taxpayer(s) are required to sign the return and must be present to acknowledge responsibility for the accuracy of the information provided and to authorize electronic filing of the tax return.
Don't have access to the internet to schedule your appointment?
Yow may leave voice message and staff will schedule a phone appointment for you and determine if you are eligible for services call 602 534 8359.
Please do not leave more than one message as we recevie a high volume of calls.
You will receive a telephone call from a VITA volunteer to help determine if you are eligible for our services. It may take several days and will be from a blocked number.
To prepare for your prequalifying screening appointment gather all your tax documents together. Our volunteers will not answer tax law questions.
If qualified for services, the VITA volunteer will schedule a Drop Off Appointment and you will follow the steps above for remaining appointment process.
Questions? Please email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (602) 534 8359.
VITA Client Instructions and Forms
Document Check List (English) / (Espanol(PDF)
Intake/Interview Form (English) /Form 13614-C Spanish
The Intake/Interview Form is the primary form that the taxpayer fills out. Please complete all pages.
3 . Myfreetaxes.com
· Self-paced, step-by-step guidance to file both Federal and State tax returns online for free
· IRS certified tax volunteers available via online chat.
· Use your basic computer skills to complete your taxes in your own home.
Don't live in Phoenix and want in person service? To find locations close to you visit the IRS VITA Site Locator