Events in Public Park or Street

​Share this page​

​ ​​​​​​​​​​Outdoor events that require closure of the right-of-way (typically includes public alleys, sidewalks and streets) or are held in public parks require a number of permits and/or licenses depending upon the features included in the event.  Please select the links below for all items that apply to your event.​

Always required:

  • The Parks Departmen​t Street Special Event Application is used to obtain approval for events in city property or right-of-way such as a street festivals, concerts, farmers markets, parades or processions and athletic or racing events.

  • To hold an event at a Phoenix city park you can apply at any community/recreation center or administrative office, for more information visit the Parks Department webpage for planning an ev​ent or gathering​

  • Public Outdoo​r Assembly Permit from the Fire Department if your projected attendance is 500 or more or you have 50 or more people within barricades or fencing.​
Description: S:\Inspections\Administration\Pictures\Palooza\IMG_0134.JPG
Also required if included in the event:
  • For tents in excess of 800 square feet or canopies in excess of 1,200 square feet, a Tent / Canopy / Membrane Structure Permit​ from the Fire Department is required. 
  • If the event includes generators or temporary wiring to an existing electrical panel, a permit from the Planning & Development Department is required.  The documents Temporary Event Power and Temporary Generators Serving Temporary Wiring answer common questions and provide guidance on obtaining these permits. 
  • All bleachers and any stage or platform higher than 30" require a building permit from the Planning & Development Department.  More information can be found in the Bleacher/Stage/Platform Guideline.
  • Food service and the use of portable restrooms is regulated by Maricopa County.  Their website provides information on how to obtain the appropriate permits.
    If you plan to include the sale or service of alcohol, a liquor license is required.  Qualified organizations may apply for a Special Event liquor license.  Visit the "Special Event" section of the License Services website for detailed information.  If you plan to extend an existing active liquor license into unlicensed areas adjacent to the premises, you need to apply for an Extension of Premises​.  Once the city approves the special event liquor license application or extension of premises, the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses & Control must review and ultimately approve the special event license/extension of premises before alcohol may be served or sold. 
  • If sales or vending is planned, a Vending License may be required depending on the vending location and type of vending activity.  In addition, a Temporary Privilege (sales) Tax License is required when conducting taxable business activity within in the city of Phoenix.  To apply for a temporary tax license, visit the Privilege Tax License ​Webpage.​