Outdoor Events on Private Property


​Outdoor events held in parking lots or other privately owned open spaces require a number of permits and/or licenses depending upon the features included in the event.  Please select the links below for all items that apply to your event.

Always required:

  • Zoning approval through an Administrative Temporary Use Permit (ATUP).  The Zoning Temporary Use Guide can walk you through the process with the Planning & Development Department.
  • Public Outdoor Assembly Permit ​from the Fire Department if your projected attendance is 500 or more or you have 50 or more people within barricades or fencing.

Also required if included in the event:

  • For tents in excess of 800 square feet or canopies in excess of 1,200 square feet, a Tent/Canopy/Membrane Structure Permit​ from the Fire Department is required. 
  • If the event includes generators or temporary wiring to an existing electrical panel, a permit from the Planning & Development Department is required.  The documents Temporary Event Power and  Temporary Generators Serving Temporary Wiring answer common questions and provide guidance on obtaining these permits. 
  • All bleachers and any stage or platform higher than 30" require a building permit from the Planning & Development Department.  More information can be found in the Bleacher/Stage/Platform Guideline.
  • Foodservice and the use of portable restrooms are regulated by Maricopa County.  Their website provides information on how to obtain the appropriate permits.
  • If you plan to include the sale or service of alcohol, a liquor license is required.  Qualified organizations may apply for a Special Event liquor license.  Visit the "Special Event" section of the License Services website for detailed information.  If you plan to extend an existing active liquor license into unlicensed areas adjacent to the premises, you need to apply for an Extension of Premises​.  Once the city approves the special event liquor license application or the extension of premises, the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses & Control must review and ultimately approve the special event license/extension of premises before alcohol may be served or sold.