Residential Construction

​Share this page​

Residential development includes single-family homes and duplex projects (both are Group R-3 occupancies). Fire permits are needed for new homes over 5,000 square feet, and may be needed when existing homes are remodeled or additions are made. Sprinklers are recommended for all homes.  For instance, a permit is needed when:

One or more additions are made within any 3 year period and;

The aggregate of the additions exceeds 50 percent of the square  footage of the house as of June 17, 2002; and

The new total area of the building is greater than 5,000 square feet.  The calculated area of Group R-3 occupancies shall include all livable space and the area of any attached garage, carports, aircraft hangar or basement.

Construction permits are needed for all residential construction and may also be needed for garage/carport construction or conversion, porch enclosure, demolition, patio cover, fence/wall, and other construction projects. For a detailed listing of the types of construction that require a construction permit, see the Planning and Development Department's Residential Single Family Construction Permit Guide (PDF).

The Bret Tarver Sprinkler Ordinance is the Fire Code section which governs the installation of sprinklers.

"An automatic sprinkler system shall be installed throughout all levels of all new Group A, B, E, F, H, I, M, R-1, R-2, R-4, and S occupancies of more than zero square feet and throughout all R-3 and U occupancies of more than 5,000 square feet...."

Bret Tarver S​prinkler Ordinance -- for the entire ordinance.