Signs must follow the inspection process which is outlined below.
1. The customer requests an inspection by one of the following options:
- By phone using the Automated Inspection Request System (AIRS) at 602-495-0800. This is a computer-based interactive voice response system. The customer must have a touch-tone phone to use this system. Inspection requests made before 9 p.m. will be scheduled for the next business day.
- By internet using the Online Permitting System and selecting "Online Inspection Request or Cancellation". To request an inspection, the customer will enter the key number that is printed on the receipt issued when the permit is purchased.
2. A city inspector conducts the inspection and verifies compliance with the approved plans to ensure proper location of the sign on the property or building, as well as appearance. Electrical code compliance is verified if the sign is electrical. Special inspections may be necessary in some cases. Please consult with the sign section staff (602-495-0301) to verify the inspections required.
3. If the inspection fails, the contractor is notified with a red tag and inspection notice that lists the issue(s) to be resolved. After resolving the issue the customer must call for a re-inspection. Upon passing inspection, work may continue to the next stage. When the final inspection is passed, the sign is approved.