NEW – Fast Track Process for Out-of-State applicants.
Only a limited number of highly qualified applicants will be invited each month to participate in this program. Those accepted into the Fast Track Process can expect to complete the hiring process within two (2) trips to Phoenix instead of the usual three (3) trips.
- To be considered for the Fast Track Process for Out-of-State applicants:
- Download and complete the Background Packet for out of state applicants according to the instructions.
- Mail the completed packet back to the Phoenix Police Department, where your background packet will be reviewed by a background detective from the Employment Services Bureau. Only the highest qualified applicants will be invited, and only a limited number can participate each month.
- Those invited will be contacted by a background detective to coordinate the 1st trip. The applicant should only make travel plans and register for a written test after coordinating the 1st trip itinerary with the background detective. The 1st trip will coincide with one of the monthly scheduled written exams.
For additional information regarding the Fast Track Process, contact a recruiter at 602-534-2677 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How many trips are needed t o get hired if I do not participate in the Expedited Process?
Every Written Exam test date is followed by a Physical Agility Assessment the following day.
- Background Interview with Detective
- Physical Agility Assessment
- Psychological Exam
- Medical Exam
- Controlled Substance Screening
- Physical Agility Update
Out of state applicants, not participating in the Fast Track program must make their first trip to Phoenix for the written exam and physical agility assessment on the posted exam date. If they pass both of these, applicants will have an opportunity to submit a background packet.
Once background packets have been received, a background Detective will contact you to coordinate the second trip. During the second trip to Phoenix, the background interview, polygraph, and physical agility update will be completed. After successful completion of the second trip, applicants will then be at the Conditional Hire stage.
After Detectives complete the background investigation, out of state applicants will still need to make a third and final trip to sign hire paperwork and to complete the medical exam, psychological exam, and controlled substance screening.
The police department understands the burden this places on out of state applicants and will make an effort to consolidate as many steps in the process as reasonably possible. Out of state applicants may be able to complete the entire process within three trips to Phoenix, Arizona; at their own expense. If you have questions about your eligibility, contact the City of Phoenix Police Personnel Section at (602) 262-6925.
Is the process different for out of state applicants?
The only difference between the out of state process and the process for someone from Arizona is the ease and availability to access the steps in the hiring process over time. The amount of time it takes to get hired for an applicant from in state and an applicant from out of state can be the same.
We do not offer transition assistance.
Instead of a one-time hiring bonus we offer the potential to earn Career Enhancement Program benefits of up to $7,612.80 every year of your career until retirement. See the benefits page
How does Arizona's hiring process differ from other states?
We will pay you to go through the Academy. You will be paid $22.98/hr while attending the Academy during the day for 40 hours a week. You do not reside at the Academy. You do not sign a minimum term contract with our agency. If for some unfortunate reason you have to leave the department soon after you are hired you will not be required to pay anything back to the department for early termination.
Our department does not have a waiting list.
New recruits who graduate from the academy with their certification go directly to patrol for field training.