Interning for Public Works
The Solid Waste Administrative Internship Program attracts graduate-level students interested in a solid waste management, sustainability and environmentally focused career within the public sector. Interns assist management staff in researching and implementing innovative solid waste practices designed to increase operational efficiency within the program and enhance solid waste services for customers.
New recruitment is currently underway and the application will close May 31, 2017. The internship term is from July 2017 to June 2018. Resume and cover letter are required. The recruitment is posted on the city of Phoenix job site.
Download the printable brochure now, for more information.
About Public Works
The Public Works Department Solid Waste Division handles the proper collection and disposal of trash, recyclables and green organics for more than 390,000 households. The Solid Waste Division is composed of three sections: Field Services, Diversion and Disposal Management and Customer Engagement Services.
In 2013, the department launched its waste diversion initiative, Reimagine Phoenix, with a citywide goal of diverting 40 percent of trash from the landfill by the year 2020 by considering how we reduce, reuse, recycle, reconsider, and reimagine healthy consumption habits to minimize waste in our daily lives.
Public Works is committed to creating a sustainable Phoenix through positive resource management, implementation of innovation solutions, increasing education and community outreach, and creating partnerships with regional public and private sector organization.
- Research and design techniques, methods and procedures
- Data collection and survey research techniques
- Principles and practices of office management
- Produce written documents in English with clearly organized thoughts using proper sentence construction, punctuation and grammar
- Work cooperatively with other city employees and departments
- Comprehend and make inferences from material written in the English language
- Actively enrolled in a Public Administration, sustainability and/or related Master's program at an accredited college or university
- One consecutive year commitment
- 20-hour work week