Frequently Asked Questions


Currently, the public must schedule an appointment to conduct business at City Hall, including License Services. Please contact License Services at 602-262-4638 to schedule your appointment. Staff is also available to assist you via telephone and can direct you to online and email resources, where available.


​​​Q.  Does the City of Phoenix have or require a "general" business license?

A.  No, the City of Phoenix does not have or require a "general" business license.  Only certain activities are regulated, and require a license/permit from the City of Phoenix.​

Depending on your business activity/set-up you may need licenses/permits/approvals from the following City of Phoenix Departments:  

License Services:​


Planning and Development Department:   Building & Zoning Permits
Parks & Recreation:
 Permits for Events in City Parks & Streets
Fire Department:
  Public Assembly & Tents/Canopy Permits
Police Department:
  Alarm Business & Alarm Agent Permits
Film Office
:  Film & Digital Media Permit

>> If you will also be conducting business in any surrounding cities, please check with each of those individual cities on any rules, regulations or requirements to conduct business there.


Other State/County licensing/permitting:

AZ Department of Liquor License & Control:  State Liquor License 
AZ Department of Revenue:  State Privilege Tax License  
AZ Corporation Commission:  Create/Register a Corporation or LLC
AZ Secretary of State:  Register a Trade Name 
Maricopa County Environmental Health:  Food Program Permits