Shared electric scooters (e-scooters) are available again in downtown Phoenix!
City Council unanimously approved a six-month pilot program for the use of e-scooters in Downtown Phoenix in September 2019 and renewed the program to continue for another six months, beginning October 2020. In March 2021, Phoenix City Council approved the pilot program to continue for one year (through March 2022).
The pilot extension will continue to test the viability of e-scooters as a mobility option and has been designed to maximize safety and minimize sidewalk clutter.
Here's what you need to know about the pilot program:
- The program will be evaluated by City Council after its conclusion.
- The pilot will allow e-scooter companies (vendors) with a permit to deploy rentable shared electric scooters at specific locations within the boundaries. The scooters can be rented through mobile applications or through the vendors directly.
- E-scooters in downtown Phoenix have a boundary area and no-ride zones. E-scooters cannot operate outside of the boundary or in no-ride zones. Additional no-ride zones have been updated to include construction zones.
- E-scooters must be parked in one of the nearly 400 designated parking areas (defined by white posts and yellow reflective scooter decals) and cannot be left outside of the areas. Parking areas can be found on the scooter apps and by zooming in on the program boundary map.
- E-scooters must be ridden on the street or within bike lanes - no riding on the sidewalk!
- E-scooter vendors must to apply and meet specific requirements to obtain a permit to be a part of the program.