This major street improvement project is being completed to improve the safety of the Burlington Northern-Santa Fe (BNSF) Railroad crossings at the 27th Avenue and Thomas Road intersection.
- Improve roadway approaches at the tracks on both 27th Avenue and Thomas Road, including new curb, gutter, sidewalk, ADA ramps and pavement
- Install a raised median for access control and to accommodate new gate arms
- Signal modifications at 27th Avenue and Thomas Road
- New cantilevers and gate arms by Union Pacific Railroad
- Secure federal railway-highway crossing funding for improvements (Federal Highway Administration Section 130)
Goals of the Project
- Improve vehicular and pedestrian safety at the railroad crossings
- Upgrade sidewalks and ramps to be ADA accessible
Milestones to Date
The initial design was submitted for review in December 2017. This design was based on the design at 35th Avenue and Indian School Road and received preliminary approval by the railroad, ADOT and the Arizona Corporation Commission (the ACC is the state agency responsible for railroad safety).
A new design concept received preliminary ADOT approval and Federal Highway Administration Section 130 funding was approved in early 2020.
Right-of-way acquisition will take place at a later time and final construction plans will be finalized as the right-of-way acquisition continues.
Design – Spring 2017 to Winter 2021
Construction is expected to begin in Winter 2022
Updated December 2020