This major street improvement project is being completed to improve the safety of the Burlington Northern-Santa Fe (BNSF) Railroad crossings at the 27th Avenue and Thomas Road intersection.
- Improve roadway approaches at the tracks on both 27th Avenue and Thomas Road, including new curb, gutter, sidewalk, ADA ramps and pavement
- Install a raised median for access control and to accommodate new gate arms
- Signal modifications at 27th Avenue and Thomas Road
- New cantilevers and gate arms by railroad
- Secure federal railway-highway crossing funding for improvements (Federal Highway Administration Section 130)
Goals of the Project
- Improve vehicular and pedestrian safety at the railroad crossings
- Upgrade sidewalks and ramps to be ADA accessible
Construction began July 2023 and is anticipated to be complete May 2024
phone: (602) 543-7062
Street Transportation Title VI and ADA Program
Title VI Notice to the Public and ADA Policy Statement
The City of Phoenix Street Transportation Department hereby gives notice that it is the agency's policy to assure full compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title II of The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and related statutes and regulations in all programs and activities. These federal statutes require that no person shall, on the grounds of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any program, activity or service the City of Phoenix Street Transportation Department administers. More information regarding the Title VI program can be found at Street Transportation Title VI and ADA Program or email STR Title VI Program.
Updated September 2023